A Page Turning Club at STA

A new club has been added to the variety of activities offered here at STA: Book Club. The club was started because the University of Dallas (U.D.) reached out to a variety of schools, asking that the students read the Pulitzer Prize winner All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. In March, Mr. Doerr will be coming to U.D. to talk about his book, and the students from the schools who read the book were invited to attend. 8th grade English and Literature teacher Mrs. Todora thought this was a wonderful opportunity and invited any 8th graders who were interested to join the newly created club. The club has around 20 members including 3 teachers and the principal, Ms. Watts. The club meets every other Wednesday in the library during lunch and recess to discuss the section they had decided to read two weeks prior. As a member of this club, I enjoy talking with other students and teachers about this marvelous book. Often times one member will notice something that others did not pick up on. When I am reading, I now find myself paying attention to the small details of the book and marking the pages to bring up during the meeting. All the Light We Cannot See is an amazing, luminous, and thoughtful work of literature that everyone should pick up and read, even if they are not in the club. Thank you to Mrs. Todora for starting this amazing club that I and so many other members enjoy and look forward to so much.

-Anna R.